Thursday, February 7, 2013

Let me hear you say "ahhh"

I have been mulling over what to write about this week and just been hitting a wall. A big writer's blocky wall. All thick with gooey-ness keeping me from spluttering brilliance for all to read. I debated talking about the lull you feel after a long vacation, the splendors of not traveling with children, and I think I even kicked around the idea of talking about unusual hotels again... But I went to an outside source and tapped into my dear beloved's brain and he gave me a fun topic I don't think I've touched on, comfort foods.

Ahhh comfort foods. They can really be anything. I think mine is whatever is fun to cook. In all honesty for me, it's more fun to prepare a gorgeous meal that's going to be delicious. Now there's certain foods I excel at preparing, asparagus, yep we are a good team, and chicken. But the one dish I think I make that's a generic comfort food that makes everyone happy is one taught to my by my best friend, and chef. It's a simply casserole of squash, and gooey cheese. It is so fattening, and god bless your soul if you are lactose intolerant, but damn it's so good.

I needed another reference for someone's comfort so I asked the brilliant Harold, and he said two simple words, Peanut Butter. Two simple decadent words oozing with luscious promise, because when it comes to peanut butter pretty much any food is made better in it's company. It comes in so many different shapes and forms and no matter what it's delicious splendor whisking you away from all your worries and stress. For those blissful moments you devour the scrumptious treat from heaven.

Seeing as an outside source gave me this topic to discuss I decided to keep going with that avenue and asked another outside source what was their chosen comfort. Needless to say my idea that savory was a great method of comfort dining, I was off. Harold had his love for the buttery composition of the peanut, and a friend of mine with candy, well gummy bears was the example given. Yet another hat tip to the world of sweet when it comes to nomming your way into the thralls of comfort, who knew.

I think it breaks down to this. Comfort food is what you reach for when you're feeling like a kicked puppy and all you want to do is curl up on the couch with your favorite *fill in the blank* get snuggly under a blanket and then veg out, be it with a good book or a something on TV  It's food that makes you let out a sigh, and when you bite into it, you feel that moment of tranquility where all your worries about the world and stress drip away and you're filled the deliciousness of your favorite dish, and all you say is "ahhh".

No comments:

Post a Comment