Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Food so good, you need to ask for forgiveness.




Well it's Tuesday, just a few days to get all my ingredients for my delicious dish of Ropa Vieja for my Cuban dish party. I cannot wait. Every time I think about how wonderful it's going to be my mouth starts watering. All those slow cooked dishes... It's sinful. Cuban's have mastered the art of making food divine in two very spectacular methods. The first (I'm making it first because this is how the dish I'm making... is made) is slow cooking. It is this art of putting all the most savory ingredients in a pot (or crock pot) and letting them do the cooking nasty all day till it's like tasty velvet. It's WONDERFUL! You can't go wrong, and unless you cook it for days you can't burn it, it just gets smoother and yummier. It looks a little scary I will admit but you quickly forgive the appearance once you taste it. Just pour over some rice and devour, I mean it! If it wasn't frowned upon to shove food in your face with your bare hands I would with Ropa Vieja... Oh how I would.

Now the second method is a very true and very Cuban method of making sure whatever it is you are cooking has the utmost delicious factor. It's the thought that if you smoosh something as flat as it can go the taste will reach it's most delicious potential. I was always amazed at how wide my Abuelita's dinner plates were. Now I realize that it wasn't because it was due to us receiving so much food, we got the same size dinner as anyone else was getting served by there families, but rather our food was so wide and so flat. The flatness seemed to bring out the rich garlic flavors and Caribbean feel to all our favorite dishes. It's the kind of food that makes you moan in happiness when you can smell it coming from the kitchen.

I figured something fun for my favorite readers would be to give you a couple great recipes to try out at home. Of course this is assuming I have readers...

First comes to you from my Abuelita's cook book.
Congri

  • 1 16oz can black beans
  • 1 small onion (my grandmother used white, I like sweet yellow)
  • 1/2 green pepper (I also like to add yellow and red peppers) seeded and cut into strips or chunks.
  • 2 garlic BULBS browned in olive oil.
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups rice
Blend everything together when the water begins to boil. Cover and cook for 30minutes.
On a side note, I like to add bacon too, it gives it a good extra "umph".


Tostones by Hector Rodriguez 
  • 2 green plantains
  • oil for frying
  • salt
  1. Heat oil to 350
  2. While the oil is heating up, peel the green plantains and cut into 3/4' slices.
  3. Fry the slices in the hot oil for 3 mins. They should be a light golden color and semi-soft.
  4. Remove the plantain slices with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
  5. When the plantain slices are cool enough to handle (about 1 minute), smash them into flat rounds.
  6. Fry the rounds in the hot oil for 3 minutes. They will turn crisp and golden brown.
  7. Remove tostones with the slotted spoon and drain them on a paper towel. Salt to taste.




ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment