Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why does this taste so good?....


Hello my favorite readers. I have returned from my fantastic vacation in Montana (I like to pronounce "Mon-ton-ya" because it makes it sound much more distinguished). I went there for the majestic mountains, and fancy pants national park, but was wowed but something that I often praise but I don't believe I truly appreciated until my recent venture.

You see my gnomes, my main squeeze is from the great state of Montana and when we visit there (all two times) I depend on him to be my Experience Director for the area seeing as I know nothing about it (however I see to know my way around much faster than he does). He knew where the great food was and where ever we ate and I was wow'd by the awe inspired food I noticed a sign in the window, it was a farm to restaurant sign explaining that the food I was eating was locally grown and raised near by. Now I have always given a "raise the roof" to restaurants who do that but it was the first time I noticed that the real good stuff was the local stuff. The best meals I had in Montana came from the food we bought at the local coop, and from this wonderful place called the Nova Cafe.





  • Preservatives are bad. They are, the chemicals break down the nutrients in your food, and it adds CHEMICALS that serve you no benefit in your food. There's a reason your grandmother's recipe for apple pie doesn't require you to add yellow #5, it's not natural.
  • It tastes better when you eat something local. There's a huge difference with something picked and cooked the next day verses something flash frozen and driven for days and stored for weeks before you even see it in your kitchen.
  • Helps the community, you're not dishing out cash that doesn't help somewhere you have never seen, the money goes back into your community benefiting those around you and helps to improve your local way of life.
  • Not to mention, all the cool kids are doing it.
Maybe we as Texans need to really start looking into where we can get some truly down home food of our own....

.... and that's exactly what I'll be posting about next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment