Monday, October 17, 2011

Fun from the Wide Eyed view... Part 1!



This is the beginning of the end, the final series of blogs for the month! This brainchild started the whole Halloween themed blogs in October. Granted, yes, October being the month of Halloween was a wee bit of the reason too, but let’s focus on these blogs being a labyrinth of twist and turns of true Halloween inspiration (cue Halloween-y themed music)! The honest inspiration of this is simple, for most people who don’t have kids to take trick or treating, or love to go to a bar typesetting, Halloween is lost on them. Because let’s face it, they can’t show up to some strangers house asking for candy without it being a stranger danger moment, and some people don’t find it a hoot to pour copious amounts of booze down their throats while trying to figure what animal ears the woman in the Victoria’s Secret nightie is wearing.  These people shouldn’t be counted out when it comes to Halloween fun because they refuse to be creepy and sloppy, and for those gentle souls, I present to you some options that are suited to your fancy.

We begin with the Hotel Lawrence a historic building tucked away in downtown Dallas. This hotel is classic and you can’t help but feel completely immersed in Dallas history. When walking into the swanky lobby, the fact that this is rumored to be one of the most haunted locations to stay in the Metroplex seems to drift away. The art deco décor is lavish and inviting, and the promise of milk and cookies makes it almost impossible to want to leave the comfortable seating area. But this stay isn’t about comfy couches and tasty treats, alas no, it’s about the bumps in the night and the fables haunting the halls. Legend has it that there are several haunted hot spots in the Lawrence and of course, my devotion to my readers I went to find out for myself how haunted the rooms where.

I imagine my staying at the Lawrence was what it was like for Mr. King to stay at the Stanley Hotel. If I had been left there alone with nothing but my room and a typewriter, I probably could have written a masterpiece. There are a few specific tales of why and what is haunting the Lawrence, in room 1009 is rumored to be the dwelling of a congressman who took his life, and in the basement the sound of children can be heard and the laundry carts move on their own. But the most recordings and scariest stories are of the legendary room 807, the haunt belonging to the deadly and devious Smiley.  There is debate on how he came to an untimely demise, some say it was a brutal butchering, other’s say it was by his own hands that he made his way into the afterlife, but all agree that Jack “Smiley” Jackson is no ghost to fool around with, from chocking guests with towels to allegedly slitting the throat of a man named Brookshire. I will admit the fear of staying in a hotel with such a devious spirit was a little uneasy, so naturally when I called to confirm my room I made certain I was staying in room 807.

When I arrived in my room, I got a true sense that I was stepping back into the past, making it easy to let all the spooky senses become heighten, and to my macabre fascination the view from my room looked over the grassy knoll, escalating the fear factor of the room to a magnificent level. I did some searching around looking for some spooks and frights. I didn’t see any visual apparitions but the goose bumps were there along with the sneaky feeling that I was not alone. I did find some startling evidence that I am a chicken, I made several attempts to go to the basement but for some mysterious (ok I say “mysterious” you might say “wussy”) reason I could never manage to send the elevator to the basement floor.

Perhaps I was a fortunate soul and the ghost of good kind Smiley decided he would let me stay in peace,  or perhaps he used me as a catalyst to tell other’s there’s no fear and to come stay at the Lawrence so he can feed his thirst of savage hauntery. There is no telling of what is real or make believe when looking into the paranormal. I’m not a ghost hunter, I’m just a girl who loves to look at the world with open eyes and let whatever excitement come my way. It’s fun to be scared, its fun to be frightened, so even though I didn’t see any goblins or ghouls it was still fun sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what might jump out of the darkness. 
(to be continued….)

No comments:

Post a Comment