Thursday, October 13, 2011

Once Bit Twice Frighten!


When I was a child my family was in community theater, the one play I remember my father doing first was Dracula. Granted I was four and the memory of the play itself is far gone, but the image of my father as Dracula is always a vivid memory. From the partial his dentist made so he could wear the most convincing fangs to the gorgeous flowing cape tailored to fit him perfectly. He was so real to me as Dracula that for several years I honestly thought he was. I suppose every child see's their father in some larger than life light when they are little and perhaps, because I saw my father as one of the most infamous horror icons ever, I fell in love with the genre and everything related to it. Now enough of the sappy crap, let's get down to what makes this awesome, today is all about Vampires in memory of my awesome (could have been Dracula) Dad.

So how do I make Vampires something to do with travel.... How will my genius figure this out, oh wait, I'm two steps ahead of you. Yep, Vampire themed cruise. That's right I said it! Cruise geared towards the one who just wants to bite everyone, and in Alaska. Ok little gnomes, dial down the excitement, I know you're picturing a cruise filled with savage teens running around nipping at each other's neck, but that's not the case here.

There's going to be a lot of themed activies for those who wish to go into vamp over load from fan fiction writing contest to a charity auction, and a savanger hunt. Plus the guest list is pretty stinking impressive. There's going to be a movie screaning festival hosted by John Edward Browning the worlds leading scholar on Vampire lore. For six years at the university-level, Browning has lectured across the states on Vampires, Zombies, and other gross monstery things, and during that time he has also presented research on the these subjects at various national conferences and festivals. Plus as an awesome side note, he's done such a good job spreading his fangy knowledge that he's slated to host a new television series on Vampire myths.

But the list gets even cooler from there. Before there was Edward Cullen, Bill Compton, or even Lestat, there was Dracula. Granted Nosferatu didn't make Dracula the hottness that is Edward Cullen, but Bram Stoker didn't want his big boy sexy because he glittered, he wanted you to be drawn to him because of his sneaky dark powers. Bram Stoker's Dracula is the one that started it all. Over one hundred years old and the book is the leading vampire bible. So many people would have given their right arm to meet the legend, but I offer you something else, the chance to meet one of his descendants. Dacre Stoker (the Dracula author's great grand-nephew) is scheduled to come and partake of all the Vampy fun aboard this haunting cruise.

And then there's the one who made me squeal and throw a pen at my super awesome boss Harold (five bucks). I don't get too giddy over many actors, but this one is one of those stars that makes my heart jump because he's such a wonderful talent. You might know him if you watch HBO, he's on a show called True Blood, and his name is Lafayette. Yep, hold onto your panties little gnomes I got excited too. Nelsan Ellis is a fantastic actor who has proven time and time again that there's no role he can't do. He's been in so many moving projects and every role he's in I believe is so wonderful that he cannot top it and he proves me wrong the next time I see him because he will inevitably knock me down with how phenomenal he is. If I didn't love cruises, if I didn't love horror, or Dracula at all the chance to meet him and listen to him give a Q&A is worth it all on it's own.

Now I could make this blog a small book about this cruise. I could go on and on about the ball that's being hosted on the ship or the day trips where you get to go explore Alaska and do whale watching. There is so much to do, that seven days is going to fly by. Any how stay spooky my little gnomes! I'll be back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment