Monday, October 10, 2011

Who wants to stumble around like a zombie?


Ahh October, my favorite month of the year. It's the glorious time when the leaves change, the cool weather starts rolling in. Oh and it's also Halloween. Let me make something clear, Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. It's truly all about having fun, no stress about cooking a huge bird or what I'm going to shove in it to make it taste scrumptious. Or stress about how I'm going to make my paycheck stretch far enough to feed my family, cover my bills, and buy a billion gifts for everyone I love and adore, or the dreadful stress of not wanting to be alone for the holiday or making sure you find the perfect way to say "Hey, I love your face". Nope, Halloween is all about being a brilliant day of fun and escape (and we all know how much I love the chance to escape). Plus it's fun to get scared sometimes, the rush you get when you get a little holiday fright... I love it.

But back to what this is really about, if your favorite traveler loves the creepiness of Halloween and the escape of hotels, it's safe to say a creepy hotel is my jack pot. Thus begins my Halloween inspired blog series, starting with Creepy Hotels that make my butt clench.

First, let me ask you, have you ever wanted to stay somewhere where the former owners were hacked to death my their daughter? Well at the Lizzie Borden house, your dream can come true! For only $150 a night you can stay where one of the most infamous murders in America took place. This Victorian gem has been restored and converted into a darling bed and breakfast. Come in and relax in the parlor where Andrew Borden napped just before getting slayed away by the apple of his eye, rest in the bed where Abby Borden was hacked away, and every morning dine on the the delicious breakfast (or as I like to call it, the last meal o'Borden) sampling the tasty treats the Borden's did just before they died. But hey if you're a little too much of a pansy to stay in this rustic beauty, tours are available for you at $12.50 a pop.

Next on the line is a hotel where you can say it's truly all about location. The Hotel Carter in New York City, is tucked into the exciting world of Time Square, it's luxury location and discounted prices are without compare and I'm guessing the smell of rancid rat feces make it the total package. I love making note of this hotel mostly because it's creepy for a very unexpected reason, and also solidifies something I told my sister. That yes, even though a hotel is inexpensive, it doesn't make it worth catching lice over. And at the Carter you get just that, it is voted one of the Dirtiest Hotels by Tripadvisor. Now if you're looking for a ghost element, there is the story about a dead woman found under a bed, but in all honesty when you look at the stories of how disgusting this place is, I don't think it's the ghost that will make your skin crawl, no, I think it's going to be the roaches and rats.

Last on this list is one near and dear to my heart, you see as a child I remember my father being in LOVE with the Shining, he watched it several times, and even went to stay at the Stanley Hotel. The movie has never really been scary for me, because I feel a true connection to it, because like my father I am a horror movie buff who would go stay in the home of Michael Meyers should it exist. The hotel was the inspiration for the great Stephen King when he stayed there in room 217, giving us the staggering book that haunted so many of us. Later the legend of the hotel became embedded all the more in our fascinations with Stanley Kubricks cinematic portrayal of the nightmares King wrote about. I should let you all know that the movie was not filmed in the actual Stanley Hotel, it was filmed in the Timberline Lodge in Oregon, maybe an option for those of you with who'd like the diet Shining experience. But in all honesty the Stanley Hotel is truly a piece of Americana history, especially it's pop culture history.


Now I never promised in this blog any ghosts, but I did promise creepy... You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment